With the right planning, engineering students can study, conduct research or intern abroad for a summer or semester while completing their degree requirements. You can experience a new culture and environment while also gaining valuable engineering experience and building up your resume. There are also several additional reasons to consider international experience:
- Potentially earn academic credit - You may be able to conduct research with a host university faculty member while studying at one of the Clark School's exchange partner universities. Many internship opportunities include joint language/internship options, or culture classes/internship options.
- International Engineering Minor - An international internship will fulfill one of the requirements for the international minor—even if you are not taking any engineering classes abroad. Click here to learn more about the International Engineering Minor.
- Cultural Immersion - A great chance to live and work in another country and experience a new culture first hand!
- Global Perspective - Learn about a new place, meet new people, make new experiences that challenge you to think differently. Employers are looking for candidates that are adaptable to new circumstances and can work effectively in diverse groups.
- Learn a new language - Many internships are available in countries like England, Australia, and Ireland, but it can also be a great opportunity to go to a non-English speaking country. Speaking a language other than English sets you apart from the majority of U.S. job candidates.
- Increase your marketability in the job force - Working abroad shows that you are open to new ideas and places, have experiences working with people that are different from yourself, and are willing to challenge yourself.
- Visit the study abroad section of the International and Leadership Programs website. Contact Ramsey Jabaji at firstname.lastname@example.org to see if/how any credits might transfer to UMD, discuss your 4-year plan, and taking advantage of all the opportunities that are being provided abroad.
- Going Global is a portal that provides information on thousands of international internships and employment opportunities. It also provides several country-specific profiles so you can learn about job search tips, work culture, resume and interview advice, and much more.
- For more information about how to begin your international internship job search, check out our International Internships Guide [pdf].
- Diversity Abroad recently hosted a webinar on International Internships that outlines what it means to intern abroad and what you should consider. You may view the full 50 minute video here.